Saturday, October 1, 2011

The door

Well....I moved up to college. BYU-Idaho, if you didn't know. I came up on September 8, it was a Thursday. The first weekend they had plenty of things for us to do. They kept us going and going, I'm guessing to stop us from wallowing in self pity. I am admitting that at very first I wanted to want to hate it because I wanted to want to transfer. Does that make sense? This sounds kinda cheesy, but it was like I had a door on my heart and I was holding it shut. Every time I started to have fun or feel the spirit I would open the door just a little and peek out, then I would realize what I was doing, "You can't have fun! You can't feel the spirit! Then you will like it here and you won't want to transfer!" So I would quickly slam the door. That happened over and over again in a matter of two days. Friday morningish my room mate showed up with her family. Super nice! I was seriously thinking in my mind, "I hope you like emotional girls who don't want to be here, because that is what I will be the rest of the semester." Later, the school had a big assembly type thing to let the freshman know how to get involved. They showed a series of videos introducing the University and it's history. There was one clip that showed pictures of a barren land and the 'voice' of Thomas E. Ricks that one day "there will be a temple built on this land" That hit me incredibly hard. I got all teary eyed and the little door on my heart opened and I peeked out, only this time I didn't slam it shut. Because there IS a temple on this sacred land. That night I prayed that I would be able to open my heart to this great University and that I would learn, succeed, and enjoy myself and for the remainder of the weekend my door slowly continued to open. And now I absolutely love it! I love the spirit, I have met so many amazing people, I love my classes, I love the campus, I love Sunday school. I just LOVE it here! I am so glad that I decided to open my heart and take it all in! Thanks for all the love and support everyone has sent out to me! :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!!!! And I am so excited for all you will learn and do during your time at the Y-daho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great metaphor and I am glad that you left the door wide open for all the fun and growing experiences you will have! Glad you started a blog. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete